After getting a big win over the Lakers on Thursday and facing a team on the second day of a back-to-back the Nuggets had a clanker once again.
The players can blame the officials and the fans can point fingers at certain players, but in the end I really think it falls on the coaching staff.
A sign of a good coach is not playing into the opposing teams game plan and that was exactly what Adrian Dantley did. He refused to feed Nene in the post and yet once again he went to his old, not-so reliable veteran Anthony Carter instead of the young and intelligent Ty Lawson.
Don’t want to take anything away from AC, but the Nuggets didn’t need defense as much as they needed offense as the usually high-powered offense was more than pedestrian.
They shot below 40 percent from the field and were outrebounded 48-31.
- Kenyon Martin was one of the few highlights, returning after missing 18 straight games, scored six points, grabbed 10 rebounds, dealt out two assists and had a steal and block.
- Chris ‘The Birdman’ Andersen finally played with energy, he finished the contest with six points and seven rebounds. He also had two blocks.
- Nene was absolutely useless tonight, he had more fouls (6) than points (3) and rebounds (2). He also had three turnovers.
- Dantley as stated above was outcoached by Greg Popovich and played right into how the Spurs wanted the Nuggets to play.
- Take out K-Mart and Bird and the rest of the team had only 14 rebounds.
- Arron Afflalo, Nene, K-Mart and JR Smith made only 8 of 30 shots.
- Carmelo Anthony was ejected, Smith and Billups each were called for technicals.
- Denver (52-28)- After Saturday’s loss the Nuggets have to go undefeated to win the Division. WINS: Memphis; TOUGHEST: At Phoenix. IDEAL OUTCOMES: 54-28 or 53-29.
- Dallas (53-27)- The Mavericks need to lose two of their final three games for the Nuggets to have a shot. The Mavs home game against San Antonio could be a potential loss. WINS: At LA Clippers; WINNABLE: San Antonio. IDEAL OUTCOMES: 55-27/54-28/53-29
- Phoenix (51-28) – The Suns also need to drop two of their final three games to help the Nuggets. Road game at Utah will be tough for the aging Suns. WINS: Houston. WINNABLE: Denver. TOUGHEST:At Utah. IDEAL OUTCOMES: 53-29/52-30
- Utah (52-28)- To win the division the Nuggets need Utah to at least drop one of their final two games. But their schedule is much easier down the stretch. WINNABLE: At Golden State, Phoenix. IDEAL OUTCOMES: 54-28/53-29