According to Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post, Denver Nuggets center Nene may miss his second game in a row Friday night against the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Nene has been hindered by a right calf strain and is also dealing with a stomach illness as well. However, Kenyon Martin will play tonight and Melvin Ely will more than likely start in Nene’s spot, if the big man misses the game, and Shelden Williams will get some minutes off the bench.
The Cavaliers have lost 18 consecutive games and fell to the Nuggets 127-99 on Jan. 15. While LeBron James leaving has had been the main reason for the team’s struggles, Cleveland has also had to deal with a slew of injuries. Mo Williams, Anthony Parker and Anderson Varejao are all out with injuries. The trio were in the starting lineup to begin the season.
The Cavaliers also have connections to the Nuggets:
- Jamahl Mosley, who was an assistant coach with Denver for five seasons is in his first year as an assistant with Cleveland.
- Joey Graham signed with the Cavaliers this offseason after a season with the Nuggets.
- Byron Scott, who is in his first year at Cleveland, coached JR Smith and Chris Andersen in New Orleans. Scott traded Smith after he grew tired of his antics, and was coaching Andersen when he was kicked out of the League for two seasons due to his drug problems. Scott also coached Martin in New Jersey
- Nuggets’ assistant coach Melvin Hunt is a former Cavaliers assistant.
- Shelden Williams is married to Parker’s younger sister Candace Parker, and the two have a child.
- Varejao and Nene are friends two of the biggest basketball players from Brazil, but the duo missed the FIBA World Championships this summer due to injuries.