A new era for the Denver Nuggets is here, and if Tuesday night is an example the future isn’t as bleak as many originally thought.
For the first time, in what seems like forever, the Nuggets played defense, played as a team and dominated the Memphis Grizzlies 120-102. In a game in which the old regime most likely would have blown the 27-point advantage the Nuggets had and they would have lost.
But the Nuggets jumped out to a big lead and never looked back and the most impressive part was Denver did it with only nine players.
While Denver used only eight players, each of them contributed to the victory:
- JR Smith was impressive, scoring 26 points, grabbing eight rebounds and dealing out five assists. He also had two steals and made 6-of-11 3-pointers. He also stepped in at point guard.
- Ty Lawson was also nearly impressive, he put 21 points, five rebounds, seven assists and a career-high six steals. He hit 8 of 15 fromt the field, but also had four turnovers.
- Arron Afflalo stepped up and scored 21 points with five rebounds and five assists.
- Despite fouling out, Nene scored 15 points and grabbed six rebounds to go with three assists, a steal and two blocks.
- Chris Andersen, who probably played his best game of the season, had 13 points, with five boards and two blocks.
- Gary Forbes didn’t shoot the ball great, but helped with energy and scored 10 points.
- Al Harrington only scored seven points but it was on 3-4 shooting and also had three rebounds and three assists. He also fouled out.
- Kenyon Martin wasn’t exceptional but solid all-around. It was pretty obvious the trade was affecting him as he sat away from the team and stood away from the team during a timeout.
The new Nuggets were at the game, Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mosgov and Wilson Chandler and received a standing ovation during the fourth quarter. They should all play on Thursday against the Boston Celtics.
Chandler and Nene mentioned after the game they would like to sign extensions with the team. And sources told Chris Tomasson at Fanhouse that the Nuggets are more than likely done trading.
Tags: Al Harrington Arron Afflalo Birdman Carmelo Anthony Chauncey Billups Chris Andersen Danilo Gallinari Denver Nuggets Gary Forbes George Karl J.R. Smith JR Smith Kenyon Martin Memphis Grizzlies Nene Raymond Felton Timofey Mozgov Ty Lawson Wilson Chandler