The Denver Nuggets ventured beyond their own free agents on Wednesday and have shown interest in the Washington Wizards‘ restricted free agent Nick Young.
Young is much like a younger JR Smith, he is extremely athletic and wreckless to a point. He is a great catch-and-shoot player, but slacks off on defense and is a weak rebounder.
Young is coming off of a season in which he averaged a career best 17.4 points and is a good catch-and-shoot guard and while the Nuggets do have the cap room to sign Young, they aren’t likely to overpay for Young. The Wizards will also most likely match any offer for Young.
NENE NOT LACKING ON SUITORS
Including the Nuggets, seven different teams contacted Nene on Wednesday, the day when team’s could talk to free agents.
Wojnarowski believes that to acquire Nene a team would have to offer more than $13 million a year, which seems pretty stiff for a player like Nene.
Now comes the question, how serious were inquiries.
- ROCKETS: Houston has been one of the most vocal teams about acquiring Nene, but many in Houston doubt the Rockets will overpay.
- WARRIORS: Golden State seems like a team that would overpay for Nene, the issue is the Warriors don’t quite have the cap room to pay Nene. They have give or take $9 million in cap room, and would have free up room to get Nene.
- CLIPPERS: Los Angeles has the cap room, right now, but it is more important for the Clippers to sign their own free agents (Eric Gordon and DeAndre Jordan) to extensions. Not to mention, they have a chance at acquiring Dwight Howard so this is a very unlikely scenario for Nene.
- BLAZERS: Portland is a real long shot to get Nene. The Blazers have no cap room and are close to the Luxury Tax threshold. Sure they could use the amnesty clause on Brandon Roy to avoid the threshold, but even than it doesn’t make much sense for them to be in financial troubles to just get Nene.
- NETS: New Jersey is the most likely team to offer Nene the money. They have cap room and want to make a big splash. They also have shown interest in Dallas’ Tyson Chandler, who also had mutual interest in New Jersey. Either way, it isn’t out of the question that the Nets get Chandler or Nene.
- PACERS: Indiana has cap room and they are close to being a contender, they also need a big man to go with Tyler Hansbrough and Roy Hibbert. The Pacers have also showed interest in David West, which is Plan A for the Pacers.
Now if the Pacers get West and the Nets sign Chandler that would pretty much leave the Rockets and Warriors as Nene’s top suitors and for either team to snag the Brazilian big man it would have to be through a sign-and-trade.
Topics: Brandon Roy, Dallas Mavericks, DeAndre Jordan, Denver Nuggets, Eric Gordon, Golden State Warriors, Houston Rockets, J.R. Smith, JR Smith, Los Angeles Clippers, Nene, New Jersey Nets, Nick Young, Portland Trailblazers, Roy Hibbert, Tyler Hansbrough, Tyson Chandler, Washington Wizards