With the 2014 NBA Draft just a week away, the so-called “draft experts” are still all over the board when it comes to predicting which player the Denver Nuggets will select.
Obviously, a lot can change between now and June 26, especially with the rumors heating up about Denver entering the Kevin Love sweepstakes, but let’s assume the Nuggets retain their current first round pick at number 11. Here’s a look at how several draft gurus see the pick shaking out for the team:
- ESPN’s Chad Ford — Gary Harris, SG, Michigan St.
- Basketball Insiders — Nik Stauskas, SG, Michigan
- Yahoo Sports’ Marc J. Spears — Gary Harris, SG, Michigan St. “Harris is an undersized two-guard who plays both ends well. He joins Ty Lawson for a strong backcourt.”
- NBA.com “Consensus Mock Draft” – Dario Saric, SF/PF, Croatia
- Draft Express — Dario Saric, SF/PF, Croatia (Draft Express also takes a crack at the second-round selections, predicting the Nuggets select Thanasis Antetokounmpo, SF, Delaware – International, at pick 41; and Khem Birch, C, UNLV, at pick 56)
- NBA Draft Insider — Elfrid Payton, PG, Louisiana-Lafayette (Nick Johnson, SG, Arizona, at number 41; and Cory Jefferson, PF, Baylor, at number 56)
When looking at the various scenarios presented above, I have to admit there isn’t a lot that gets me excited outside of the potential Stauskas or Harris picks. Elfrid Payton is garnering a lot of buzz and could end up being the hidden gem of this year’s draft, but he still seems like a reach at number 11. Out of all the mock drafts, the one from Draft Express worries me the most. If it shook out exactly as they predict (which, admittedly, isn’t likely), I wouldn’t be surprised to hear a collective groan out of Nuggets Nation at the end of the day.
With just seven days to go before the draft, Denver Nuggets fans, what are you hoping happens with the team’s picks? Do you like any of the players draft experts are predicting for the team? Or would you prefer to see the team package the pick as part of a trade that brings a more established player to Denver? Share your thoughts in the comments below!