The Denver Nuggets have now filled out all 15 possible roster spots. It’s currently 25 degrees Celsius where I live. The snowflake on my balcony tells me that these will not be the 15 players on the roster come October. If rumors are to be believed, the roster may change in 30 days.
For discussion sake, let’s play “what if”. What if the following 15 players really were the 15 players the Nuggets moved forward with into the season?
|Ty Lawson||Aaron Afflalo||Danilo Gallinari||Kenneth Faried||Timmy Mozgov|
|Nate Robinson||Randy Foye||Wilson Chandler||Darrell Arthur||JaVale McGee|
|Erick Green||Gary Harris||Quincy Miller||JJ Hickson||Jusuf Nurkic|
Personally, making the playoffs to be unceremoniously dumped in the first round does not cut it. Entering last season, the hope was to make the second round of the playoffs. That same hope should be carried forward to the 2014-15 season barring another catastrophic year of injuries!
As of this writing, Kenneth Faried has not signed an extension and could become a free agent after the season. The Denver Nuggets have the right to extend a “qualifying offer” to Faried which would make him a restricted free agent instead of an unrestricted free agent. If the Nuggets were to stand pat with this roster, the only way to afford Faried’s extension would be the movement of one of the following players whom are in the final guaranteed year of their contract. (Or count on Aaron Afflalo opting out).
- Wilson Chandler – I am enamored with the idea of healthy Gallo/Chandler rotation at the 3. At least until Gallo shows he is healthy.
- Randy Foye – I am enamored with the idea of using Randy Foye as a trade chip while still respecting his ability to hit the game winning three on a game-in, game-out basis.
- Timmy Mozgov – If the Nuggets trade Mozzy before they trade McGee, especially before the season starts, it is safe to suggest a unicorn will transport Mozzy to the airport.
- JaVale McGee – The market value on JaVale McGee will always be warm because of his freak’ish natural athleticism. If McGee comes back and shows he is healthy, the market may never get hotter for the enigma.
- Nate Robinson and Darrell Arthur – both opted in for 2014-15. Trade deadline day may be their last day as Denver Nuggets if Nugs are out of playoff contention.
If there was a player name on the Denver Nuggets roster that screams “trade me”, it’s JJ Hickson. I feel sorry for JJ. I never understood his acquisition in the first place. When Hickson fully recovers from knee surgery, here’s hoping Coach Shaw figures out how to work him into a rotation that doesn’t need him.
With all the above observations, can you try to convince me these are the 15 players who will be here for training camp in October? What changes do you forsee?